Sacred Valley Hike, Hidden Inca Trail, Urquillos 1 Day Hike
This is a picturesque and charming trail with impressive ancient Inca ruins, some remains of Inca Trail along cascades, with dazzling mountains and sweeping views of tall peaks of the Urubamba Mountain range. This hike is perfect for those who dare venture on a dramatic highland location of the Sacred Valley/Urubamba Valley, be away from crowds, and take a day challenge while exploring the Sacred Valley in a different way, at end of the hike, you will finish your day adventure at your hotel in Urubamba/ Ollantaytambo (Sacred Valley) or you can even continue your adventure journey to Machu Picchu.
This day-hike from Chinchero ruins to Urquillos town is an off-the-beaten path and it does not require any experience in trekking, as long as you are determined to make this hike and have all the positive vibes then you will have an awesome day while exploring the hidden corners of the Sacred Valley. If you have planned to hike to Machu Picchu by Classic 4-day Inca Trail, Short Inca Trail 2-days, or other alternative trails, then this day hike will be excellent acclimatization before embarking on your long trek, which will make you ready to rock on your upcoming hike to Machu Picchu.
Our gentle Urquillos hike sets off from Chinchero, a small picturesque Andean town with remains of Incan temples, well-preserved agricultural terraces, and a church from the XVII century a perfect place to learn about the Inca History, agriculture, and Incan religion, also a great place to learn about Peruvian weaving at Chinchero weaving co-op – where local women showcase (and entertain!) visitors about the centuries-old process of transforming and weaving alpaca wool into colorful textiles and soft sweaters so well-known of Peru’s Sacred Valley.
Why you will love this tour
- Marvel with spectacular views of the snow-capped peaks
- This is an excellent acclimatization hike for long treks
- Explore the Sacred Valley in a different way away from the crowds
- Hike a trail that is well suited to families and those looking for an easy hike in the Sacred Valley.
- As far as Sacred Valley Treks go, this is a nice introduction with beautiful scenery and interesting sweeping vistas of the mountain of Urubamba range.
- This hike combines a fascinating guided tour of Chinchero ruins and a local weaving demonstration.
- Our gentle downhill hike gives you the chance to catch a glimpse into the lives of the people living there with beautiful scenery, and interesting cultural experiences.
- Hiking from Chinchero to Urquillos takes about 4-5 hours, following a section of Inca Trail, until the cute little village of Urquillos… to meet the Vilcanota River in the Sacred Valley
- Tour Type: Private and Semiprivate (2 – 6 Participants)
- Tour duration: Full day tour,
- Hiking time: 5 – 6 hours
- Activities: Hiking, Archaeology, and nature
- Meeting location: Your hotel lobby in Cusco. We can also depart from Hotels in Urubamba & Ollantaytambo only as a private service
- Pick up schedule: At 7 am from your hotel in Cusco
- Drop off schedule: Same place
- Good For: Those with a sense of adventure and in good hiking shape
- Physical rating: Easy to Moderate due to the altitude of the trail
- Group Size: For private tours, You decide, for the semi-private tour is 2 – 6 Travelers
- Customizable: Yes! Custom, add-ons are all available. You can add this tour to any trek as an acclimatization activity
- Consideration: Please remember comfortable shoes – lots of walking around
Cusco - Chinchero - Urquillos Hike - Sacred Valley
At 7:30 am, Cusco Local Friend Guide will pick you up from your hotel, we’ll then drive to Chinchero village, which is the trailhead of the Urquillos Hike. This picturesque colonial village of Chinchero is located at the elevation of 12,100 ft, in a dramatic location high above the windswept plains of the Urubamba Valley, with many Inca ruins around and there is a beautiful colonial church, hence we’ll visit them, also the weaving center.
After exploring the ruins of Chinchero with your private guide and visiting a Chinchero weaving co-op (optional), we’ll descend into the Sacred Valley via the Inca Trail. The scenery is picturesque and attractive, where we will be treated with impressive views, streams, cascades, colorful wildflowers, and tranquil eucalyptus groves next to the trail. We’ll follow a short section of the Inca Trail; this trail is linking the towns located high in the mountains with other towns in the valley level (Sacred Valley). The trail descends from 12,200 feet (3700 meters) to 9430 feet (2875 meters), on the halfway, we will eat our packed lunch.
After 4-5 hours hiking, we’ll arrive in the village of Urquillos, in the Sacred Valley, a very picturesque Andean town with a quiet plaza in the middle surrounded by houses made of stone and clay with roofs in terra-cotta tiles. We’ll take a little stroll in the cute little village of Urquillos. Our hike to the Sacred Valley gives you the chance to catch a glimpse into the lives of the people living there, from this place you’ll be transferred to your hotel or the train station in Ollantaytambo. The choice is yours.
Note on the Itinerary
Although we do our very best to adhere to the schedule listed above, this itinerary is subject to change for numerous reasons beyond our control. Reasons which may include incidents in the location where the trip will be operated, strikes, political disputes, entry or border difficulties, extreme bad weather, flight cancellations, and other unpredictable or unforeseeable circumstances which are beyond the reasonable control of Cusco Local Friend and that Cusco Local Friend is not liable for such changes or amendments. On some occasions, these conditions may demand us to deviate from our original schedule, in which case we will provide the best available alternative options. And we’ll make a great experience of it! However, some extra expenses may be incurred, these extra expenditures will be covered by the client in their totality and not by Cusco Local Friend.
- Personal pick-up and drop-off from/to your hotel
- English speaking Local Friend Tour Guide
- Private transportation and driver
- All Admission Tickets to the protected areas
- First aid kit
- Boxed Lunch
- Travel insurance.
Prices per person
|#||Price / Person||Book Now|
|1 People||We have special rates for SOLO travelers. Get started by filling out the information below.||Enquire Now|
|2 People||$ 190.00||Enquire Now|
|3 People||$ 180.00||Enquire Now|
|4 People||$ 170.00||Enquire Now|
|5 People||$ 160.00||Enquire Now|
|6+ People||We have special rates for groups over 6ppl. Get started by filling out the information below.||Enquire Now|
What to ExpectBreathtaking views, mild to hot temperatures although kind of windy at some places in the afternoons; mostly sunny days during the months of May, June, July, and August; Stops at scenic spots en route; Friendly English speaking tour guide; Your journey your way!
Why Travel with us
Cusco Local Friend has been awarded the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence due to the most consistent 5-star reviews in Cusco, the Sacred Valley & Machu Picchu for exceptional levels of service and care.
- Local Culture
- Scenic Vistas
- Train journeys
- Scenic Vistas
- Local Culture
- Scenic Vistas