Sacred Valley Hike to Hidden Inca Ruins, Huchuy Qosqo Hike
A full-day hike through the highlands of Cusco to Huchuy Qosqo ruins, with spectacular Andean scenery, rich history, and the fascinating culture of the region’s indigenous people.
This hike is perfect if you are short on time and want to get away from the bustle of the city and enjoy nature and witness the beauty of the Peruvian Andes. This hike is designed for those who like a challenging 1-day hiking adventure. There is something magical about the way the scenery unfolds in the highland regions of the Sacred Valley. Urubamba Mountain range with wondrous glaciated peaks along, the sky is dotted with birds of prey soaring in search of their next meal, curious llamas grazing free nearby the trail, uncrowded Huchuy Qosqo Inca ruins nestled high above the Sacred Valley, bright flowers burst impossibly from the parched earth.
This adventure explores it all, you’ll have opportunities to learn more about the flora, fauna, history, and geology that comprise this highland desert ecosystem. Get the perspective of locals living modern-day life in the highlands of the Sacred Valley. Enjoy your lunch on polished rocks with spectacular views around. Join us!
Why you will love this tour
- Embark on this less-beaten trail to Huchuy Qosqo on a fully-supported hike.
- Hike the lesser-known Trail through the rolling countryside and hidden Inca Ruins in the Sacred Valley.
- Marvel at towering of snow-capped peaks in the Urubamba Mountain range.
- Explore the Huchuy Qosqo Incan site perched atop the Urubamba Sacred Valley and hear the history of the Incas who lived in this ancient town.
- Hike down to the Urubamba River along the spectacularly scenic trail.
- Learn about the powerful geological forces that carved this remarkable highland landscape.
- Perfect day hike for those who need acclimatization before any multi-Day Trek around Cusco and Machu Picchu.
- All our tour experiences are private and semi-private so you enjoy a personal experience, go at your own pace and you will be able to talk to your guide and ask questions and be involved during the tour.
- Good for those who need acclimatization before going on a multi-day trek around Cusco and Machu Picchu
- Hiking distance: 16 km / 9.96 miles
- Tour Duration: Full Day – Hiking time: 8 – 9 hours approx.
- Physical rating: Moderate to demanding
- Elevation gain: 3,400m (14107 ft) – 3,750m(15,900ft)…
- Activities Type: Cultural Adventure, Hiking, Archaeology Adventures
- Group Size: Tours are personalized in private service; you decide the number of travelers in your group.
- From/ pick up location: Hotels in Cusco. Private Tours can start anywhere in the Sacred Valley (Ollantaytambo and Urubamba), just let us know
- To/ drop-off location: Hotels in Cusco. Private Tours can finish at anywhere in the Sacred Valley (Ollantaytambo and Urubamba), just let us know
- Customizable: Yes! Go private and customize this day hike. Choose your pickup location and drop-off location anywhere in Cusco or the Sacred Valley. Add-ons are all available. You can add this tour to any trek or multi-day tour
- Consideration: Please remember comfortable shoes – lots of walking around
Cusco - Huchuy Qosqo Hidden Inca Ruins - Sacred Valley
At 6 AM, your “Cusco Local Friend” guide will come to your hotel to pick you up. You’ll then drive for 1 hour and 30 minutes to reach the trailhead located in the Qenqo community (3.600m/ 11,811 ft). Our first section of the trail is gently uphill for 2 hours to reach the Siwar Pass (4,000m/ 13,123 ft). Once we reach the highest point, we will be rewarded with the spectacular Andean scenery of the Urubamba Mountain range and its glaciated peaks of Veronica, Pitusiray, Sawasiray, Chicon, and San Juan; we’ll take a deserved short break to enjoy the views and capture amazing pictures.
Next, we start hiking downhill making our way to the Huchuy Qosqo ruins, along the trail we’ll pass nearby tarwi bushes (lupine plants) and cactus until reaching the ravine called Leon Punku (mountain lion gate), where we will see some parts of the Inca trail and remains of an Inca bridge, your guide will share a rich history of this place and the network of the Inca Trails. Yet, we’ll trek for 30 more minutes to reach Huchuy Qosqo ruins
Huchuy Qosqo is amazing; majestically located on a small plateau in the middle of Andean terraces and overlooking the Cordillera Urubamba and Urubamba Sacred Valley. Also, it is bounded by streams on both sides. Once here, we’ll have enough time to rest, relax, and recover with delicious packed lunch, after that, we’ll be ready for our guided tour within this fascinating Inca complex. After the guided tour, we’ll start descending down to Lamay village for 2 hours by winding path, upon arrival, we’ll take our private van to return to our hotel. End of the adventure.
Note on the Itinerary
Although we do our very best to adhere to the schedule listed above, this itinerary is subject to change for numerous reasons beyond our control. Reasons which may include incidents in the location where the trip will be operated, strikes, political disputes, entry or border difficulties, extreme bad weather, flight cancellations, and other unpredictable or unforeseeable circumstances which are beyond the reasonable control of Cusco Local Friend and that Cusco Local Friend is not liable for such changes or amendments. On some occasions, these conditions may demand us to deviate from our original schedule, in which case we will provide the best available alternative options. And we’ll make a great experience of it! However, some extra expenses may be incurred, these extra expenditures will be covered by the client in their totality and not by Cusco Local Friend.
- Personal pick-up and drop-off from/to your hotel
- English speaking “Cusco Local Friend” Tour Guide.
- Private transportation and driver
- First aid kit, including oxygen.
- Packed Lunch
- Any other extra expenditures
- Travel insurance
Prices per person
|#||Price / Person||Book Now|
|1 People||We have special rates for SOLO travelers. Get started by filling out the information below.||Enquire Now|
|2 People||$ 190.00||Enquire Now|
|3 People||$ 180.00||Enquire Now|
|4 People||$ 170.00||Enquire Now|
|5 People||$ 160.00||Enquire Now|
|6+ People||We have special rates for groups over 6ppl. Get started by filling out the information below.||Enquire Now|
What to ExpectBreathtaking views, mild to hot temperatures although kind of windy at some places in the afternoons; mostly sunny days during the months of May, June, July, and August; Stops at scenic spots en route; Friendly English speaking tour guide; Your journey your way!
Why Travel with us
Cusco Local Friend has been awarded the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence due to the most consistent 5-star reviews in Cusco, the Sacred Valley & Machu Picchu for exceptional levels of service and care.
- Local Culture
- Scenic Vistas
- Local Culture
- Scenic Vistas
- Train journeys
- Scenic Vistas